Scripps Ranch Theatre’s 6th Annual “Out On A Limb:
New Plays from America’s Finest City”
Scripps Ranch Theatre’s “Out On A Limb: New Plays from America’s Finest City,” is designed to create and stage new plays that spring from the stories of San Diego and its people. The program will strive to develop and produce new work that will engage playwrights and theater artists in Southern California. It is our intention to celebrate the diversity that thrives in the various neighborhoods of San Diego, to entertain, educate, and expand the horizons of our patrons and develop new audiences, and to contribute to the cultural and economic growth of our community.
The process is simple:
Step 1 – You submit a Statement of Intent (SOI) with the idea for your play
Step 2 – If your SOI is chosen, you write a complete first draft of a one-act play.
Step 3 – If your first draft is chosen, your play gets worked and produced by SRT!
SRT plans to go “Out on a Limb” and commission up to three new one-act plays. The idea for the play MUST have something to do with San Diego. The play that results does not have to be biographical, historical, or based in reality, but the genesis of the idea has to have some connection to San Diego. Once a playwright and her/his idea has been selected, the playwright and SRT will meet as needed over the course of several months to develop, read, and workshop the new play, culminating in a production of the play on SRT’s main stage. An honorarium will be paid to each playwright that has their play produced by SRT.
The deadline for your Statement of Intent package is Monday, November 28, 2016.
Submission Guidelines for Statement of Intent package:
- The SOI, which includes a detailed description of the proposed play, including how the idea for the play has a San Diego connection. An SOI should be no longer than two pages with one-inch margins and in a 12-point font.
- Your playwriting resume
- Samples of your previous work (3 pages of dialogue)
Please strive for specificity in your proposal and avoid vague explanations. The clearer the idea of what you are proposing to write, the better. Only members of SRT’s new play committee will view or discuss your proposal.
- The idea for the play MUST have something to do with San Diego.
- When completed, the fully realized play must be a brand new one-act no longer than 40 minutes, with a maximum cast size of seven. If a musical, maximum cast size of five. The setting(s) should be simple or ‘suggested.’
- If you have already written a play that is derived from an idea that has something to do with San Diego and it has been produced, it is not eligible for this program.
- After the Statement of Intent packages have been reviewed, SRT will choose up to eight playwrights to create a first draft from their submission idea. After reading and review of the first drafts, SRT will choose up to three playwrights to continue work on their plays, culminating in production-ready versions.
- You must meet certain deadlines for your work in order to achieve the goal of producing the play and to receive the entire honorarium.
- We prefer submissions be sent electronically. Please email submissions (following the submission guidelines) to: email@example.com. However, if you would like to use regular mail for your submission, please use the mailing address at the bottom of these guidelines.
- You may submit multiple ideas as long as you submit a Statement of Intent for each idea.
- December, 2016: Playwrights are chosen to create a first draft of their one-act plays.
- February 13, 2017: First drafts are due.
- February-March, 2017: Playwrights and SRT will collaborate (reading/workshop, discussion) in preparation for playwright’s creation of a Production Draft.
- May 1, 2017: Production Draft is due. Additional work may be done in rehearsals in preparation for full production of play in July 2017.
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please contact Robert May at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
So, let’s get to it!
Email your Statement of Intent package to: email@example.com
SRT – Out On A Limb
10755-F Scripps Poway Pkwy #187
San Diego, CA 92131